St Anthony’s Catholic Primary School was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1898. Catherine McAuley founded the Mercy Order, strongly believing that children should not be taught just the 3 Rs, but should also be educated in faith. Her Sisters’ mission was to devote themselves to the poor, whose need for a Catholic education was not being met. They commenced teaching on the site, in a small wooden building known as the ‘Academy’, with an enrolment of 30 pupils. Their dedicated contribution to our school was to continue for 83 years.
The first lay principal was appointed in 1973. This appointment enabled the Sisters to continue their teaching in the school whilst allowing them more freedom to encompass the evolving diverse pastoral needs arising in the Catholic community.
1981 marked a significant period in the history of St Anthony’s with the Sisters of Mercy withdrawing their services from our school. The Convent of Mercy building was leased to a parishioner from 1984 until 1997, when the school purchased the lease. In 1999 the Convent of Mercy was renovated into administration and classroom areas and renamed Mercy House. The Chapel was also renovated and named Catherine McAuley Chapel.
The journey through primary school is a very exciting and enriching one. Throughout this journey, our mission is to work in partnership with families to promote and nurture the moral, academic, physical, emotional, social and spiritual formation of each and every child. We are passionate about teaching and learning and our aim is for each child to reach their full potential. Integral to our mission is imparting the beliefs, traditions and practices of our Catholic faith and promoting an active partnership between home, parish, school and community where Respect, Justice and Faith are celebrated.
At St Anthony’s we aim to develop in students a passion for life, learning and service of others and we work together to build a family atmosphere that fosters joy and strong sense of community.
Renovations and extensions occurred in 1900, 1954, 1984, 1991, 1999 and in 2009, with a generous government grant, we undertook the biggest redevelopment in the history of the school and community. In 2010, the Building Education Revolution enabled the school to build a full sized gymnasium. Towards the end of 2017, our newest building project was completed, which saw the development of a Nature Play area, a Reception to Year 7 Playground, a new Environmental/Science/Construction centre as well as four existing classroom renovations.
At St Anthony’s Catholic Primary School, we value our tradition and share our story.