Find us on Facebook for the Lastest School Updates
140 Years of the Sisters of Mercy in the South East
This week marks the special celebration of the 140 Years Anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Mercy to the South East. During the week we remember the contributions of the Sisters of Mercy, to education and the mission of helping the poor and vulnerable in Millicent and the South East, illuminating ways in which we can be the hand of Mercy for others in the world.
The Sisters of Mercy arrived in Beachport May 14, 1880 on a wheat ship, the Coorong. Their first goals were to establish ‘schools’ and in 1880 the Sisters of Mercy established two schools in the South East.
The Sisters of Mercy also devoted themselves to charitable works, tending to the needs of the wider community and were, for this reason, nicknamed The Walking Nuns. They focused their attention on the communities needs and walked the streets to help others.
We are blessed that St Anthony’s Catholic Primary School is inspired and animated by the life of Catherine McAuley, the Mercy Charism and the Sisters of Mercy.